The Ancestors of Reginald Foster
William Story's wife was Sarah Foster, whose father was Reginald Foster (taken from Forrester); the English and Flemish ancestors of Reginald Foster were:
1st - Anacher Great Forrester, of Flanders, who died A.D. 837 and son
2nd- Baldwin I, of Flanders, called "Iron Arms"- he married the Princess Judith, daughter of "Charles the Bald". King of Ayentena and Neustria. He died at Awa 877 and was succeeded by his son.
3rd - Baldwin II of Flanders, married the Princess Alfreth, dau. of "Alfred the Great". He made war against Endes Count of Paris who usurped the French Crown and defeated him. Died 919 A.D. and was succeeded by his son, Arnulf of Flanders, who was succeeded by his son
4th - Baldwin III of Flanders- married the daughter of the Count of Luxembourg- was a great warrior and defended his country against the united forces of Emperor Henry, King Roland of France, and the Duke of Normandy. Died 1034 and succeeded by his son.
5th - Baldwin IV, he married the Princess Adela, daughter of Roland of France, by whom he had issue:
1. Baldwin V
2. Robert Forrester, surnamed the Freislander from his having conquered the principality of Freisland.
3. Matilda of Maud- she married William I, surnamed Conqueror of England. William, Duke of Normandy was born 1024. He was surnamed William the Conqueror from his triumph over Harold at Hastings, on 14 Oct. 1066, and crowned King of England by Alfred, Archbishop of York at Westminister Abbey.
The above information was transcribed from Partial Genealogy of Story Family, by George L. Story, 3 pages,writte2/13/1942.
William Foster, the founder of this family, was admitted to the church of Charleston in 1652. Savage thinks he was of Boston, 1644, with his wife Susanna, but proof of this is wanting. His English origin is Also unknown, but he may have been a passenger in the Hercules from Southampton, in 1634, and he may have been this son of Richard Foster of Romsey in Hampshire, Baptized there in 22 Jan. 1615. We know that William Foster had a wife Anne, daughter are of William Bracklenbury of Charleston and Malden . He was a Sea Captain, and in 1669 master of the Dolphin.
1. William1 Foster
William Foster - , Boston 1644, had wife Susanna removed I think in a short time to Charlestown where he was administrator of the Church. In Aug. 1652 married second wife Ann, daughter of William Bracklebury- - --- Being an enterprising merchant he was taken with one of his sons by a Barbary Corsair off the coast of Spain. From that captive, his restor is attributed in Magnalia III 183 to the ultimely death of the Dey caused by the imprecate, of our apositle Eliot.
Savage II page 191
William Foster, the founder of this family, was admitted to the church of Charleston in 1652. Savage thinks he was of Boston, 1644, with his wife Suzanne at, but proof of this is wanting. His English origin is Also on known, but he may have been a passenger in the Hercules from Southampton, in 1634, and he may have been this son of Richard Foster of R Romsey in Hampshire, Baptized there in 22 Jan. 1615. We know that William Foster had a wife Anne, daughter are of William Bracklenbury of Charleston and Malden . He was a Sea Captain, and in 1669 master of the Dolphin.
He married Ann Brackenbury, daughter of William Brackenbury and Ann (--?--). He was born in 1618. He died on 8 May 1698 at Charlestown.
Children of William1 Foster and Ann Brackenbury were as follows:
2. Richard2 Foster (William1) was born on 10 Aug 1663 at Charleston. He married Parnell Winslow, daughter of Issac Winslow and Mary Nowell, on 4 May 1686. He died in 1745.
Children of Richard2 Foster and Parnell Winslow were as follows:
3. Issac3 Foster (Richard2, William1) Isaac Foster was a sea captain, making frequent Voyager is between Boston and Europe; and in 1765 was called merchant; he was quite a prominent citizen of Charleston, and his name often occurs in Frothinghams history of the town was born on 30 Jan 1704. He married Eleanor Weyer, daughter of William Weyer and Eleanor Jenner, on 24 Aug 1732. He died on 27 Dec 1781 at age 77.
Children of Issac3 Foster and Eleanor Weyer were as follows:
4. Eleanor4 Foster (Issac3, Richard2, William1) was born on 4 Aug 1746. She married Dr. Nathaniel Coffin, son of Dr. Nathaniel Coffin and Patience Hale, on 30 Oct 1769.
Children of Eleanor4 Foster and Dr. Nathaniel Coffin were as follows: